Sunday, January 23, 2011

City of Champions

I love the city of Pittsburgh.  Always have, always will.

When I was a kid, I loved it because it meant seeing my cousins.  And my aunts and uncles.

Arriving at the city from the north, the cityscape would come out of nowhere.  Even then it would take my breath away.  My brothers and I looked forward to driving through the Liberty Tunnels, the point where we'd lose the radio station because we were so far underground, and holding our breaths as long as we could.

Even though I didn't want to leave the city, I could still watch for my favorite sight, the Heinz ketchup bottle that looked like it was emptying, and then would instantly be full of red-light ketchup again.

Now I'm older, and the city still gets me every time--like wandering the North Shore by the stadiums and Vietnam Memorial; or exploring Oakland's Cathedral of Learning then eating at the Original Hot Dog Shop; or catching the trolley dowtown to crowd onto a bridge and watch the Fourth of July fireworks display at the Point.

Seeing the Steelers win the AFC Championship tonight makes me so proud of this city.  I can't wait to go back there and to take my children too.  I want them to be amazed by the skyscrapers and bridges, to appreciate the sports teams, to be impressed by the massiveness of the rivers, and to feel the history of the place.  Most of all, I want them to form wonderful memories of Pittsburgh, just like I did.


Last week the Penguins had their Terrible Towel on display while they competed with the Bruins, and right afterwards the Steelers defeated the Ravens.  And of course last night Fleury showed some solidarity as he displayed the Steelers helmet and Terrible Towel both during their game against the Hurricanes.

I'm thrilled that my teams support each other, rather than acting like jealous siblings.  Might as well enjoy the good times, as our legacy of winning continues.

Now what are we going to do about those Pirates?

2 comments:

  1. Like you, every time we approach the city from the North, at the first sight of the cityscape I get a rush through my body and anxiously await what new experiences lie ahead. My husband, a country boy through and through, scoffs at my love of "the city." When I finally made it to the Console Energy Center last month, it was exhilarating! I can't wait to go back and share the experience with my kids....I am excited for you to get there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get to the Consol Energy Center either! I'm thrilled that both of my children want to go to a Penguins game. And that they want to see the city I love so much.

    I understand where Jason's coming from. I don't know that I could live there without a little country retreat. With my cousins it was always like the story of "City Mouse & Country Mouse," and we functioned well as long as we could visit each other and get our fix on the other way of life.

    My husband chimes in with a little "City of Pittsburgh" chant each time we visit.

    ReplyDelete