Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Less Likely to Lose

Would you say that most hockey players are superstitious?


At least when Crosby refrains from shaving a mustache, makes sure he has his lucky hat, and warms up by doing hand-eye coordination drills, he has a good reason for it.


When the players exercise their superstitions, they're really just performing a routine, aren't they?  It's no different than what people who are not athletic professionals do to ready themselves to perform their jobs.  After all, if you're prepared and in the proper state of mind, won't you be more likely to succeed?


What doesn't make sense are superstitions carried out on the part of the fans.


I, for example, will not wear a Penguins shirt on a game day.  Only the day after a win.  The exception, to the first statement, however, is if a game day follows the day after a win; then it is okay.


There is nothing logical about that.  What I wear does not impact how my team plays.  Does it?


Yet I can't stop myself.  I try always to be cognizant of when the team is playing because if I do wear my Pens gear and they lose, somehow I feel responsible.


Even though I can't affect the team's play, I've noticed that when I follow this rule, they're less likely to lose.  So, like any player with hockey sense would do, I play the percentages.


This means that I also talk to the players through the television screen, try to avoid seeing my Uncle Rodney on any Pittsburgh game day (including when my cousin Jason got married--somehow my husband and I got lost on the way to the wedding, during which time the Pens won their playoff game, but we did make it to the reception.  Sorry, Jay, it truly wasn't intentional, I swear!), and follow the mantra that ice cream is always lucky during second intermission.


I was thinking about the idea of superstition this morning as I was reading up on the practice of burying statues or medals of St. Joseph, which is supposed to help when selling property.  My supportive friend Linda, in an  attempt to help us sell our house and move to Pennsylvania, gave me this statue, and I wanted to follow directions.


This idea would have struck me as idol worship even as few as ten years ago.  I mean, I've always referred to the fabled hockey gods, but only in jest.  But my religious growth has led me to no longer limit God's power, but ask, "What can't be done?"


The website http://www.fisheaters.com asks, "Is this custom superstitious? It is if one doesn't believe in the intercession of Saints and the good of making outward signs of prayer."


I guess it just shows that if you have the belief your actions will get results, it's faith, not superstition.  And what's to say if that applies to life, it can't apply to hockey too?

No comments:

Post a Comment