Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wingman

Lately I've heard a lot of Top Gun references on TV and movies and commercials.  Almost like it's the new Star Wars.  Everyone wants to allude to Maverick and, of course, his famous wingman, Goose.

As for the Penguins, it seems as though they "lost that lovin' feeling" for their own Goose, Alex Goligoski.

Maybe that sounds a little more personal than it really is.

Trades, as I explained to my brother Evan, leave me with mixed feelings.  I get attached to the players, kind of like members of an extended family.  As fans, we watch them play day in and night out, celebrate their successes, show concern when they're sick or injured, and even dress ourselves like them.

As for Goligoski, the then 22 year-old draft choice joined us from the University of Minnesota WCHA.  We called him Gogo.  Like the rest of our young team, we watched him mature into a Stanley Cup champion.  When Gonchar headed to Ottawa, he helped quarterback the power play.  His nickname transformed to Goose.  We saw his strength on defense and enough offensive prowess to make him the 25th leading scoring defenseman in the NHL this season.



Honestly, I'm not sure how the players deal with trades.  Knowing it's always a possibility--heck, knowing it's likely to happen at some point in the career unless they're deemed a franchise player (and even then there's no guarantee) must be hard.  To pick up your life and family and job and move somewhere you may not even like--well, personally I would feel powerless.

When I was part of a bank acquisition, it was one of the worst experiences of my life.  I didn't feel like a person so much as a commodity.  Fortunately, there was no relocation involved, but suddenly I was working for a company where I did not choose to work.

As for Goligoski, the Stars have revealed he's worth two players, and I hope the Minnesota man acclimates well to Texas.

I know that Shero makes good trades.  He has the ability to see the big picture while maneuvering all the interlocking pieces.  And since we haven't even reached the deadline yet, more dealings may be in negotiation.  While I have trouble letting go, I do like acquiring new players.  Learning to pronounce their names.  Studying their tendencies.  Observing how the team chemistry changes.

Obtaining Neal and Niskanen should be good for the team.  While Niskanen is the even steven trade for Goose (a D-man for a D-man), the focus of all expectations seems to be on Neal.  The fabled hockey gods know could use the offense right now.

Goose, I will miss you.  But I know I'm not alone in wanting to see how our new wingman fits in.

No comments:

Post a Comment