Monday, January 31, 2011

Our Little Secret

My husband and I would like our son Gregory to get involved in something.

Anything really.

Besides Pokemon.  Or maybe I should say, "In addition to Pokemon."

While George is really pushing for sports, I'd be happy with anything that makes him a little more active and gives him the opportunity to meet some kids his age.  I just want to promote him living healthy and being friendly.  Maybe you can relate.

When asked, Greg immediately ruled out Little League, football, and basketball--all to George's disappointment.

There might be hope for these someday.  I mean, he really enjoys the movie The Sandlot.  And now that he's made a friend that follows the Jets, he's a little more curious about football.  Plus, he and his classmates must be shooting around in Physical Education because he doesn't mind a basketball so much as long as it's not in a structured game (unfortunately once again for George, he won't even consider sitting down  and watching the UK Wildcats play one out).

We thought that since his friend Codie started karate, maybe Greg would want to do that too.

But like most other kids his age, he already thinks he is a karate and self-defense expert.  He watched The Karate Kid (2010), afterall.

Going out a limb, I even suggested fencing.

My husband thought this was a strange choice, but Greg does enjoy a good light saber duel.  Maybe some lessons would sharpen up his technique.  We found a place just down the street from us (imagine that!) that features Olympic caliber trainers, but is that a little intense for a seven year-old?

What I really want him to love, of course, is playing hockey.  But I just don't want to push him.

That's why it's been hard to contain the news that my friend Jamie gave me:  a YMCA near where we plan to relocate has a youth hockey program for kids his age.  And she's trying to get her daughter involved with it too.

I haven't told him yet because every once in awhile, he shows a bit of interest, but if I'm even slightly too eager, he'll revert.  He's a little like a hermit crab that way.

The good news is this:  when we went ice skating last year at an outdoor rink, which seems more challenging, he wanted to learn.  He tried so hard, and even if he wasn't gliding smoothly, he was working it out on his own.  The same size that will someday be advantageous to him currently makes it slightly harder to maneuver with grace.  I remember Gregory conceding that a hockey stick might help him balance.  And recently he wanted to try again.

Better yet--his school sent home a flyer the other day about an upcoming free skate that will be indoors.  I'm holding my breath that he'll ask to go.

So for now, this hockey league is our little secret.

Until I find a way to make him want it.

Maybe he'll surprise me by wanting it on his own.

And even if (or when) he chooses something completely different, I'll be pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment